There are three main types of fax software available.
The first kind is an online or internet based fax service. This service is accessed through the internet (typically over email, a web interface, an app, or a program installed on a computer).
The second type is a program that is installed on a computer that turns the computer into a replacement for a fax machine. This be a small desktop (or laptop) computer to a larger enterprise server that many users depend on.
On this page
- Type 1 – Online software and services
- Type 2 – Installed software
- Type 3 – Fax servers (Enterprise)
- External sources & resources
- More resources
Type 1 – Online software and services
An online fax service acts like a virtual fax machine that is accessed through the internet.
The fax service manages all the fax “infrastructure” (such as phone lines and software).
Type 2 – Installed software
Software can be installed on a computer to have it “imitate” a traditional fax machine – the computer is plugged into a phone line and connects to another fax machine through the phone network.
Both Windows and Linux have options for fax software. Mac OS X does not (as there is no longer a fax modem available since OS X 10.7).
In the case of Windows, Windows Fax and Scan (Fax Console on Windows XP) is included with the operating system. There are also a number 3rd party options that can give added functionality.
In the case of Linux, there are a number of open source options for fax software – everything from smaller fax clients (like Windows fax and scan) to software that is used to power enterprise level systems.
Type 3 – Fax servers
A fax server is typically used in an enterprise environment and administered by an IT specialist (or department).
From a user perspective, fax servers work very much like an online fax service (allowing users to send and receive faxes over email or a software program), however all the fax infrastructure is managed through the organization.
External sources & resources
- Wikipedia – Category: Fax Software
- Sourceforge – Windows Fax Software
- Softonic – Full versions of free fax software
- Windows 8 and 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Mac OS X
- Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Chrome OS, and other Distributions)
- Fax Software
- Fax Modems
- Smartphone or Tablet
- How to email a fax
- How to fax a PDF
- How to fax from a VoIP phone (such as Vonage, Skype, Magic Jack, or Google Voice
- How to fax from Google (Gmail, Google Docs, and Drive)
- How to fax from Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and more)
- How to fax to an email address
- How to email a fax