‘LINE’ on a fax machine is a port to connect the fax machine to a landline phone line.
It is found on its own or near an ‘EXT‘ port (used to connect a phone extension).
Fax machines and fax modems have a ‘LINE’ port to connect the fax to a landline phone jack.
A landline phone connection is required to use the fax machine.
Plugging the fax machine into the phone line is part of setting up a fax machine.
Some fax machines have line ports numerically labeled (LINE 1, LINE 2, LINE 3). These fax machines have multiple lines. Connect the first line to LINE 1, and any extra lines in numerical order.
- Xerox Support Forum – Fax – LINE and EXT – A discussion on the differences between a LINE and EXT port on a Xerox fax machine.
- Epson Support – Connecting a Telephone or Answering Machine – Instructions on how to connect a telephone or answering machine to a fax machine using the EXT port.
- Canon Fax-B840/B820/B822 User’s Guide – page 7 – a Canon fax machine user manual that describes the use of each phone port.
- Epson WF-2750 User’s Guide – page 24 – an Epson fax machine user manual that shows where the “EXT” and “LINE” ports are.
- Xerox Work Center 7120 User Guide – page 24 – A Xerox MFP user manual that shows the location of phone ports on the device. Includes a line for “TEL” as well as 3 different “LINE” ports.