How to Send a Fax from a Computer, Fax Machine, or Online
- Sending a Fax with an Online Fax Service
- Sending a Fax with a Fax Machine
- Sending a Fax with a Computer
- Additional Resources on Sending a Fax
- More How to Fax Resources
With fax becoming less of a common method of communicating, many people are moving to an online fax service for their faxing.
An online fax service offers a number of the same features that a fax machine provides, with the added benefit of being able to fax online, wherever you have an internet connection.
If you already have an online fax service, then use the following quick guide to send a fax:
- Open the program from the online fax service provider that you use
- Select the file that you want to fax
- Enter the fax number that you want to send to
- Press “Send”
- Wait for the document to finish transmitting
- Send another fax, or close the program when you are done
To send a fax with a fax machine, you’ll need to first ensure that your fax machine is properly configured.
We have put together a full guide on how to use a fax machine to help ensure that your fax machine is properly configured, as well as certain settings that you may need to consider.
Once your fax is on and configured, then you will be ready to send your fax.
To send a fax with your fax machine:
- Place the document you want to send in the document feeder. There is usually a small icon that will show which was is “face up” for sending your document.
- Enter the fax number you want to send to, including and extensions to dial externally, and any international dialing codes
- Press Send or Go (depending on your fax machine model)
- Wait for the fax to finish scanning and sending your document
- Take your confirmation page (if you have the feature enabled)
- Take your original document with you
Most computers these days have the ability to double as a fax machine.
While we primarily the use of an online fax service when using a computer as a fax, some people still use their computer as a direct replacement for a fax machine that normally sits on a desk.
If you already have a fax service installed on your computer, then usually the process of sending a fax with a computer goes as follows:
- Open the program you want to use to fax
- Select the document that you want to have faxed
- Prepare a cover page to put on top of that document
- Select the option to “fax””
- Enter the fax number you want to send to
- Select the option to “send”
- Wait for the document to finish sending
- Send another fax, or close the program when you are finished
- How Stuff Works – How Fax Machines Work
- Youtube – How to Send a Fax From a Fax Machine
- eHow – How to Use a Fax Machine
- Microsoft – How to Send a Fax in Windows XP
- Answers.com – How do You Send a Fax?
- How to Fax From a Computer – How To’s and Instructions for Faxing from a Computer
- Windows 7 Fax – How to setup and operate faxing on Windows 7
- Windows XP Fax – How to setup and operate faxing on Windows XP
- How to Fix a Paper Jam in a Fax Machine – Prevention and Maintenance for Paper Jams
- How to Fax Internationally – International Dialing Codes and Calling Methods
- How to Get a Fax Number – Finding Fax Numbers for Local and Toll Free Services
- How to Send a Fax – Methods for Faxing, from Online and Internet Faxing to Fax Machines and Computer Faxing
- How to Use a Fax Machine – Including Configuration, Sending, Receiving, and Troubleshooting
- Where Can I Send a Fax? – How to Find Places and Methods that Can Send Faxes